The roof is finished! Rockwork is going in and around the base of the home. Lattice of front porch is complete. Gorgeous red-trimmed windows. Finished ceiling. Stucco walls in one room.
In the early 1820s what is now Southern Colorado was Mexican Territory and much of Pueblo and Beulah were part of the massive Nolan Land Grant given by the Mexican government to a Frenchman, Gervacio Nolan. In 1868 the entire land grant (by then 49,695 acres) was purchased from the Nolan heirs by Annie Blake, Peter K. Dotson and Charles Goodnight—each acquiring one-third of the land. Peter Dotson and his wife, Emily, moved their family onto his parcel, a cattle ranch that would become known as the 3-R Ranch—into a log cabin... [Read more here.]
History comes alive in this historic account... Read 'Cattle Ranches of Colorado', an article written by A. A. Hayes in 1879, and remarkably illustrated. See Page 877 of this article!
Read the full report of core samples taken from the expertly milled logs.
Learn how all the modern 'upgrades' to this historic home were lovingly removed for preservation and how the history of the cabin continues..